TSL Communications Officer
Closing Date: 12.06.2020 Reference ID: SB01/2020 Salary: £26,715 – 32,817 or £33,797 - £40,322
The Sainsbury Laboratory (TSL) is a world-leading scientific institute working in the field of Plant-Microbe Interactions and our scientists are recognised as leaders in their fields. We seek a communications specialist to promote and communicate our science through print, digital and social media. The successful applicant will support TSL to promote a clear, coherent and consistent internal and external brand, ensuring that we continue to be recognised nationally and internationally in the area of Plant-Microbe Interactions. You will generate media opportunities for high profile press coverage of our science. You will be responsible for TSL’s website and social media strategies, overseeing digital and social media content, and providing guidance on the latest digital communications technologies, helping to enhance TSL’s reputation as innovative and forward-thinking. You will also contribute to the design and generation of our educational output, including an innovative new online teaching programme addressing plant health and food security, and a new Masters degree programme.
The post holder will report to the Director of Postgraduate Research and Training, Professor Stephen Bornemann.
Key Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Interacting with the media to promote TSL news stories. Liaising effectively with agencies such as Science Media Centre and Sense about Science.
- Publishing clear and compelling scientific press releases, web copy, social media news items, and communications with stakeholders. Delivery of these through offline and online channels.
- Working with the relevant TSL personnel to manage website content development utilising blogs, podcasts and videos.
- Identifying and utilising new communication strategies aimed at expanding and promoting TSL’s reputation worldwide.
- Ensuring brand values are kept consistent across all websites, social media and print.
- Developing digital content for our training programmes.
- Coordinating outreach activities that help to promote TSL’s science to stakeholders both on and off site
- A first- or second-class degree.
- Experience of scientific research; ideally you will have a degree in biological sciences and good knowledge of plant/microbial science in particular.
- Experience in scientific writing and media, an excellent communicator with a passion for science communication.
- Experience with video production and editing. Animation skills would be advantageous, as would experience with Virtual Learning Environment platforms.
- Established contacts with relevant media outlets.
- The postholder will have excellent communication skills and be able to pitch communications to scientists and non-scientists alike.
- The postholder will be able to work on their own initiative. A flexible approach and the ability to prioritise workload is a must for this post
Salary will be within the UEA Administration, Library & Computing Grades 6 scale £26,715 – 32,817 or Grade 7 £33,797-£40,322 pa gross; the appointment level will reflect qualifications, skills, knowledge and achievements. The position is offered initially for one year, renewable up to 3 years.
For further information and details about this post please contact the Director of Postgraduate Research and Training (email@example.com).
Applicants should provide a CV, including the names and contact details of two referees, and a covering letter addressing the selection criteria. Applications should be submitted online using the ‘Apply’ button below.Apply