Technician position: Synthetic Biology
Closing Date: 01.12.2019 Reference ID: SB01/2019 Salary: £19,612 – £21,814
A position is available within our Laboratory Support team to assist our Synthetic Biology Support Officer in providing plasmid distribution and bespoke cloning services to our research groups at The Sainsbury Laboratory. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who is keen to work in a leading research environment, supporting world class research that delivers solutions to help reduce crop losses caused by important pests and diseases. For more information please visit www.tsl.ac.uk
Duties include, but are not restricted to;
- Managing the distribution of plasmids/modules to researchers at the Sainsbury Laboratory
- Overseeing the maintenance of plasmid stocks and other materials required by the service
- Preparing stocks of competent cells for use in cloning
- Assisting with routine laboratory work
- Updating the TSL plasmid database & online ordering system
- Providing a degree of cover for the Support Office during periods of absence
The successful applicant must fulfil the following criteria;
- Have good attention for detail
- Be able to follow protocols and keep accurate records
- Be very well organised and able to plan ahead
- Be open to learning new procedures and able to tackle new challenges with enthusiasm
A BSc (2(i)) or equivalent in biological sciences, with emphasis on molecular biology is desirable, but relevant hands-on experience will also be taken into consideration. This is an ideal role for someone looking to embark on a career as a scientific technician with a focus on molecular biology. The position is available on a full-time basis.
Appointment will be to the UEA Technical Staff Salary Scale, Grade 4 (Tech C) £19,612 – £21,814. Appointment level will depend on qualifications, knowledge and skills.
Applicants should provide a CV, including the names and contact details of two or more referees, and a cover letter of no more than one A4 page addressing the selection criteria. Applications may be submitted online using the ‘Apply’ button below. Alternatively, please send formal applications, quoting the reference number SB01/2019, either by email to HR@tsl.ac.uk or by post to Lynda Barnes, HR Advisor, The Sainsbury Laboratory, Norwich Research Park, Norwich, NR4 7UH, UK.