Technician position: Plant Transformation Team
Closing Date: 08.11.2019 Reference ID: MS01/2019 Salary: £19,612 - £25,941
A position is available within the Sainsbury Laboratory Plant Tissue Culture/Transformation team to take on the day to day running of the Arabidopsis thaliana transformation programme and to be involved with other diverse plant transformation projects. This position should appeal to applicants who have a genuine interest in plants with a strong desire to work in a strategic support role.
Duties include, but are not restricted to;
- Organising the sowing of all seed and supervision of the growth of plants.
- Planning of transformations.
- Growing cultures for, and carrying out plant transformations.
- Harvesting, labelling and processing of seed.
- Screening for transformants.
- Maintenance of axenic stock germplasm
- Engagement with other plant transformation projects.
- Other duties as and when required and appropriate to the role.
The successful applicant must fulfil the following criteria;
- Have a genuine interest in plants
- Be very well organised and able to plan ahead.
- Be able to adhere to strict deadlines
- Be able to work as part of a team and alone.
- Be able to keep accurate records and communicate information clearly and legibly
- Have a flair for detail.
- Be willing to learn new procedures and tackle new challenges with enthusiasm
Occasional heavy lifting will be required.
The successful candidate will be expected to work as part of a small team to carry out the above duties. A BSc (2(i)) in biological sciences with emphasis on plant science is desirable. Candidates must have at least 2 years work experience in a plant science research laboratory. This position is available on a full-time basis with appointment, as soon as possible, after 01/01/20.
Appointment will be to the UEA Technical Staff Salary Scale, Grade 4/5 £19,612 – £25,941. Appointment level will depend on qualifications, knowledge and skills.
Applicants should provide a CV, including the names and contact details of two or more referees, and a cover letter of no more than one A4 page addressing the selection criteria. Applications may be submitted online using the ‘Apply’ button below. Alternatively, please send formal applications, quoting the reference number MS01/2019, either by email to HR@tsl.ac.uk or by post to Lynda Barnes, HR Advisor, The Sainsbury Laboratory, Norwich Research Park, Norwich, NR4 7UH, UK.Apply