IT Support Technician
Reference ID: SF02/2017 Salary: £21,220 - £24,565
The Sainsbury Laboratory (TSL) is seeking to recruit an IT Support Technician to provide local, day to day support for desktop computing requirements within the laboratory. Our end users work in both Windows and macOS environments and use a range of standard office and scientific software.
Supporting a diverse population of scientific and support staff, the post holder will report to the Laboratory Manager. The main responsibilities of the post holder will include:
- Provision of local Helpdesk support for TSL
- Trouble-shooting hardware and software problems, including on mobile devices
- Supporting staff with use of Microsoft Windows, macOS and associated software applications (e.g. Microsoft Office, web browsers, EndNote)
- Advising on the purchase of hardware & software
- Installing software
- Assisting the Laboratory Manager in maintaining PCs and software attached to scientific equipment
- Upkeep of the TSL Intranet, development of new intranet pages and management of intranet pages
- Documenting tasks and processes
- Provision of IT support and solutions for projects
- Ensuring new users have access to their PC and the network promptly
- Interfacing regularly with the NBIP Computing helpdesk (Norwich BioScience Institutes Partnership provide network infrastructure and support for the institutes on the Norwich Research Park)
- Supporting leavers of TSL with any computing requirements.
Required skills and knowledge
- Microsoft Certification
- In-depth knowledge of Windows Active Directory, domain management and Network Technologies (LAN/WLAN/WAN)
- In-depth knowledge of Windows and macOS
- Experience with CMS
- Ability to perform hardware maintenance tasks
- Good communication skills (written and oral)
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work well within a team
- Able to work in a methodical and documented manner, to multi-task and prioritise work around deadlines.
- A strong ability to work calmly under pressure.
- Outstanding problem solving skills
Candidates should be highly motivated individuals with a computing-oriented degree or HND. Salary will be within the UEA Technical staff Grade 5 scale at between £21,220 and £24,565 p.a; the appointment level will reflect qualifications, skills, knowledge and achievements.
Applicants should provide a CV, including the names and contact details of two referees, and a covering letter addressing the selection criteria. Applications for the position may be submitted online using the ‘Apply’ button below. Alternatively applications may be submitted, quoting the reference number below, by e-mail to HR@TSL.ac.uk or by post to Kim Wood, HR Manager, The Sainsbury Laboratory, Norwich Research Park, Norwich NR4 7UH, UK.
The position is open until filled.
Please quote reference number SF02/2017 if applying by email or post.Apply