Predoctoral Internships at TSL
The TSL Predoctoral Internship Scheme helps individuals to gain the necessary skills and experience required to undertake a PhD. It can be undertaken full-time, for up to twelve months in the first instance. The Laboratory will support individuals both financially and academically to allow them to fully engage in our research environment.
The internships are offered to individuals who, in the judgment of the review panel,
- have demonstrated significant academic achievement
- are committed to a career in research
- and show promise of future high-level achievement as a leading researcher.
Applications are invited from individuals looking to undertake research training with a view to submitting a future PhD studentship application – contingent on funding and projects being available at the time.
- Predoctoral Eligibility
- Open to all nationalities
- Relevant Bachelor or Master degree
- Individuals with evidence of significant academic achievement
- Individuals committed to building a career in research
- Individuals planning to enrol in an eligible research-based program leading to a PhD
- Positive Factors for Selection
- Evidence of significant academic achievement
- Level of promise of continuing achievement as researchers
- Predocs will either develop an individual project or contribute towards a larger existing project – the exact project and expected outcomes will be agreed with the Group Leader at the start of the Internship
- Predocs are expected to become active and engaged members of the TSL student community
- Predocs are encouraged to make full use of the training and development opportunities provided by TSL, the Norwich Bioscience Institutes and the University of East Anglia
- All predocs are offered full employment status, with access to all associated employee benefits
- Predocs are encouraged to take advantage of the opt-in mentoring opportunities provided by post-doctoral colleagues, Group Leaders and TSL Adjunct Scientists
- An annual salary of £17,682 per annum is offered to all predoc interns
- Oversight of the Internship programme is provided by the Executive Director, Director of Postgraduate Research and Training, Head of Administration & HR Manager
- Individual Interns receive career guidance from their individual Group Leader, group colleagues and their Mentor(s)
Applications are made by CV and covering letter to the HR Manager, and are evaluated by the Director of Postgraduate Research and Training and Group Leaders. They use the CV, covering letter, academic record, letters of recommendation, and any other appropriate materials as the basis for determining the extent to which candidates meet the eligibility requirements and the positive factors for selection.
Informal enquiries about specific areas of research that could form the basis of an Internship can be addressed to relevant individual Group Leaders.
TSL is committed to providing a working environment that respects the dignity and rights of all staff and students and where individuals are provided with the opportunity to realise their full potential. TSL is committed to open science, research integrity, and transparency. TSL is committed to equality and diversity in all of its appointment, employment and training activities.