Predoctoral Intern Fellowships at TSL
The TSL Pre-Doctoral Fellowship Scheme helps individuals to gain the necessary skills and experience required to undertake a PhD. It can be undertaken full-time, for up to twelve months in the first instance. The Laboratory will support individuals both financially and academically to allow them to fully engage in a research environment. The internships are offered to individuals who, in the judgment of the review panel, have demonstrated significant academic achievement, are committed to a career in research and show promise of future high-level achievement as a leading researcher.
Applications are invited from individuals looking to undertake research training with a view to submitting a future PhD application. This is dependent on funding and projects available at the time.
- Predoctoral Eligibility
- Open to all nationalities
- Graduate or Masters level entry
- Individuals with evidence of significant academic achievement
- Individuals committed to building a career in research
- Individuals planning to enrol in an eligible research-based program leading to a PhD
- Positive Factors for Selection
- Evidence of significant academic achievement
- Degree of promise of continuing achievement as researchers
- Pre-docs will either develop an individual project or become part of a larger project – the exact project and expected outcomes will be agreed with the Project Leader at the start of the Fellowship
- Pre-docs are expected to become active and engaged members of the TSL student community
- Pre-docs are encouraged to make full use of the training and development opportunities provided by the Norwich Bioscience Institutes and the University of East Anglia
- All pre-doctoral interns are offered full employment status, with access to all associated employee benefits
- Pre-docs are encouraged to take advantage of the opt-in mentoring opportunities provided by post-doctoral colleagues, Group Leaders and TSL Adjunct Scientists
- An annual salary of £17,079 per annum is offered to all Pre-doctoral interns
- Oversight of the Fellowship programme is provided by the Executive Director, Head of Administration & HR Manager
- Individual Fellows receive career guidance from their individual Group Leader, group colleagues and their Mentor(s)
Applications are made by CV and covering letter to the HR Manager, and all applications are evaluated by a scientific panel comprising Group Leaders. The panel uses academic records, letters of recommendation, the application itself (including CV) and any other appropriate materials as the basis for determining the extent to which candidates meet the eligibility requirements and the positive factors for selection.
TSL is committed to providing a working environment that respects the dignity and rights of all staff and students and where individuals are provided with the opportunity to realise their full potential. TSL is committed to open science, research integrity, and transparency. TSL is committed to equality and diversity in all of its appointment, employment and training activities.